Friday, April 20, 2007

An Apt Analogy on Illegal Immigration

Someone sent this to me via e-mail and I thought I'd share it with you. I find it a very apropos analogy in describing how we in the United States have been dealing with illegal immigration:
A lady wrote the best letter in the editorials in ages!!! It explains things better than all the baloney you hear on TV.

Her point:
Recently large demonstrations have taken place across the country protesting the fact that Congress is finally addressing the issue of illegal immigration.

Certain people are angry that the US
  • might protect its own borders,
  • might make it harder to sneak into this country and,
  • once here, to stay indefinitely.
Let me see if I correctly understand the thinking behind these protests:

Let's say I break into your house.

Let's say that when you discover me in your house, you insist that I leave.

But I say, "I've made all the beds and washed the dishes and did the laundry and swept the floors."

I've done all the things that you don't like to do.

I'm hard-working and honest (except for when I broke into your house).

According to the protesters,
  • You are Required to let me stay in your house
  • You are Required to add me to your family's insurance plan
  • You are Required to Educate my kids
  • You are Required to Provide other benefits to me and to my family
  • (my husband will do all of your yard work because he is also hard-working and honest, except for that breaking in part).
If you try to call the police or force me out, I will call my friends, who will picket your house, carrying signs that proclaim it is my right to be there.

It's only fair, after all, because you have a nicer house than I do, and
I'm just trying to better myself.

I'm a hard-working and honest person, except for, well, you know, I did break into your house.

And what a deal it is for me!!!

I live in your house, contributing only a fraction of the cost of my keep, and there is nothing you can do about it without being accused of cold, uncaring, selfish, prejudiced, and bigoted behavior.

Oh yeah, and I demand that you learn my language so that you can communicate with me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a *great* analogy! Finally someone's got it right.